Each of Maine Audubon’s eight wildlife sanctuaries across Maine offers unique opportunities to explore different ecosystems and habitats and to see a wide variety of wildlife.
April 1, 2020: Our eight centers and sanctuaries have walking trails that are open dawn to dusk, daily, for free, and we encourage you to find respite through nature at this time (please leave your dogs at home, though!). However, our first priority is public safety, so we ask that you follow these guidelines if you are interested in walking our trails:
- Please stay at home if you are exhibiting any symptoms, have a fever, cough, shortness of breath, or feel unwell in any way.
- Follow CDC’s guidance on personal hygiene prior to and during use of our parking lots and trails. Please touch as few surfaces as possible.
- Be advised that there is no access to indoor public restrooms or drinking water.
- While on trails, alert other users to your presence and as they pass, and step aside to let others pass.
- Observe CDC’s minimum recommended social distancing of 6 feet from other individuals at all times. If you arrive and the parking lot is half full, please find an alternate location or come back at another time. Please bear in mind that Governor Mills has prohibited all gatherings of more than 10 people.
Maine Audubon sanctuaries are open to the public each day from dawn until dusk. Please note that Maine Audubon sanctuaries are first and foremost a refuge for wildlife. While we love dogs, their presence (even while leashed) can disturb wildlife and disrupt habitat. Please leave your dog and other pets at home during your next visit.
- Borestone Mountain Audubon Sanctuary, Elliotsville
- Fields Pond Audubon Center, Holden
- Josephine Newman Audubon Sanctuary, Georgetown
- Hamilton Audubon Sanctuary, West Bath
- Mast Landing Audubon Sanctuary, Freeport
- Gilsland Farm Audubon Center, Falmouth
- Scarborough Marsh Audubon Center, Scarborough
- East Point Audubon Sanctuary, Biddeford
Our facilities at Gilsland Farm and Fields Pond are available to rent, and are a favorite for weddings, galas, and other events. We also regularly feature art and other exhibits in our art gallery at Gilsland Farm.