Advocating on behalf of public policies that are in the best interest of Maine’s wildlife and habitat is a key pillar of Maine Audubon’s mission.
Our approach is science-based, measured, and inclusive, and it depends in large part on our network of citizen activists, who prove again and again that people are the secret to successful advocacy.
Our current policy priorities include:
- Advancing solar power and repairing any damage done by the Public Utilities Commission
- Approving a clear approach for spending the Bureau of Parks and Lands’ timber harvesting revenue within its mission
- Advocating for a strong Maine Mining Act and implementing regulations (recently successful!)
- Funding efforts to replace stream crossings that are barriers to fish and wildlife movement
- Creating a pilot project to ban soft plastic worms on two waterbodies
- Protecting our native Brook Trout populations
We welcome your participation in our efforts, and we thank you for all you have done and will do to help protect Maine’s waters, land, and wildlife. Signing up for our Action Alerts will keep you informed. You can also get involved through our regional Chapters, which are the backbone of our citizen activist network. Thank you!
Maine’s Environmental Priorities Coalition
As a member of the Maine Environmental Priorities Coalition, we work closely with 33 environmental, conservation, and public health organizations representing over 100,000 members to protect the good health, good jobs, and quality of life that our environment provides. Learn more at maineepc.org.
Appalachian Mountain Club
Atlantic Salmon Federation
Bicycle Coalition of Maine
Conservation Law Foundation
Environmental Health Strategy Ctr.
Friends of Casco Bay
Islesboro Island Trust
Maine Association of Conservation Commissions
Maine Center for Economic Policy
Maine Conservation Alliance
Maine Council of Churches
Maine Council of Trout Unlimited
Maine Interfaith Power & Light
Maine Lakes Society
|Maine Organic Farmers & Gardeners Association
Maine People’s Alliance
Maine Wilderness Guides Org.
Natural Resources Council of Maine
Physicians for Social Responsibility,
RESTORE: The North Woods
Sierra Club, Maine Chapter
Southern Maine Conserv. Collab
The Ocean Conservancy
The Trust for Public Land
The Wilderness Society
Toxics Action Center