The Maine Climate Council is forging ahead in its important mission to develop a plan to help the state achieve its bold climate targets. In order for the Council to adopt a strong and effective plan with concrete steps that will grow Maine’s economy, reduce air pollution, and build healthy, resilient, and equitable communities, they need to hear from Mainers like you.
Please add your name to the petition below, to be sent to the Council as a show of force from Mainers who want to make sure we meet the goal of reducing our carbon emissions 80% by 2050. Together we can demonstrate that Mainers want action on climate change and are closely watching the Maine Climate Council.
In order to reduce carbon pollution by at least 80% before 2050, we are urging the Council to support concrete action steps that:
- Expand local renewable energy projects and creating new, long-lasting clean energy jobs for Maine workers;
- Deliver safe, clean, and affordable transportation options for moving people and goods throughout the state;
- Increase the energy efficiency of homes and businesses;
- Give Maine people, communities, and resource-based industries like farming, forestry, and fishing the tools to become more resilient, and promoting solutions that will reduce carbon pollution;
- Support wildlife’s ability to adapt in our changing climate and the resiliency of our natural resources; and
- Ensure equity by providing solutions that are fair and accessible to all Mainers.
Maine Audubon is proud to play a role advising the Council; Sally Stockwell is on the Council’s Scientific and Technical Subcommittee and Advocacy Director Eliza Donoghue is on the Natural and Working Lands Working Group. With your help, we can help to build a clean, healthy future for Maine people and wildlife.