The Borestone Mountain Audubon Sanctuary features spectacular lodges located between Midday and Sunset Ponds. Designed and built in the early 1900s and recently renovated with modern kitchen and bath facilities, the lodges are authentic, rustic, Adirondack-style log buildings.
There are four buildings people can utilize: The Main Lodge, Dining Lodge, Cliff Cabin, and the Guide’s Cabin. The Main Lodge can accommodate eight people, and the Dining Lodge can accommodate nine. The Cliff Cabin, a very short uphill walk from the Main Lodge, can accommodate two people. These three buildings share common kitchen and bathroom facilities. The Guide’s Cabin has capacity to sleep six people and is equipped with kitchen and bathroom facilities (a composting toilet).
Amenities in the lodges include:
- Fully equipped kitchen with running potable water, gas range and refrigerators, food storage areas, pots and pans, cooking utensils, and complete place settings.
- Bedrooms with sheets, pillows, pillowcases, and blankets. There is a mix of single, double, and multiple occupancy bedrooms available. Bring your own towels.
- Solar powered electricity, with a generator back-up, providing lighting in the common areas of the lodge and limited electric service in all bedrooms.
- One bathroom with a flush toilet and a sink located near the sleeping area in the Main Lodge, and a separate bath house with two hot/cold water sinks, showers, and toilets located in a separate building next to the lodge.
- Two fieldstone fireplaces in the dining room and living room (firewood provided).
- Canoes, kayaks, and personal flotation devices available for use on Midday and Sunset Ponds.
A short path from the lodges leads around the lake to the Nature Center and the rest of Borestone’s hiking trail network. On-site sanctuary staff provide transportation of guests and their baggage from the parking area at the base of the mountain to the lodges and back via a 10 minute ride in a 4-WD vehicle, followed by a 10 minute boat ride across Midday Pond. Staff also provide orientation to the facilities, trash removal as needed, and communication and coordination of emergency services in the event of an accident or illness. If needed, Audubon staff can also provide names and contact information for catering services.
- Smoking is restricted to outside areas only and all cigarette/cigar butts are to be extinguished in the containers provided for this purpose.
- Alcohol is permitted within and in the immediate vicinity of the lodges. Maine Audubon encourages responsible use of alcohol due to the risks associated with close proximity to deep, cold water and rough terrain. Maine Audubon reserves the right to remove (or have removed) intoxicated parties at their cost.
- Due to the threat that fire poses to the surrounding forest habitat and the lodge buildings, outside fires are allowed only with staff consent.
- All parties are expected to leave the buildings and premises in a presentable condition. Trash should be placed in the receptacles provided. Staff will remove all bagged trash and recyclable materials.
- All renters are required to provide a major credit card (VISA, MasterCard, or American Express) as a security against damages to the lodge buildings, the sanctuary property, or any loss to Maine Audubon. The renter assumes full financial responsibility for any personal injury which may occur during, or as a result of, the use of the property.
In order to protect wildlife and provide a welcoming guest experience, the following are prohibited at Borestone Mountain Sanctuary:
- Pets of any kind
- Illegal drugs
- Hunting, firearms, trapping, and off-road vehicles.
- Collecting of plants, flowers, and other natural materials. Please leave them for others to enjoy.
2018 Rates & Fees
- May-June: $725/night with a 2-night minimum stay
- July-October: $825/night with a 3-night minimum stay*
- Additional 4th and 5th nights available for $675/night.
- Additional 6th and 7th night available for $515/night.
- The Guide’s Cabin is available for an additional $210 per rental, regardless of length of stay.
*2-night stays available Monday – Wednesday for $825/night
These rates are fixed and apply regardless of the number of guests.
After reviewing the rates and guest policies, please call Maine Audubon at 207-781-2330 x273 and request Borestone reservations to inquire about dates of availability, or to make a reservation. A 50% deposit is required to guarantee a reservation. Final payment for all reservations will be due 30 days prior to the arrival date and may be paid by check or credit card.
Cancellations & Refunds
It is important to let Maine Audubon know as soon as possible if a Lodge rental must be cancelled. If you cancel a reservation at least 60 days prior to the arrival date, a full refund (less a $100 administrative fee) will be issued. If you cancel between 59 and 30 days prior to the arrival date, a 50% refund (less the $100 administrative fee) will be issued. No refunds are available within 30 days of the reservation date.
Please call Maine Audubon at 207.781.2330 x273 with any questions or to make a reservation.