Maine Audubon’s top-notch facilities at our Audubon Centers in Greater Portland and Greater Bangor are excellent options for hosting your next wedding, meeting, or other special event.
Maine Audubon’s Gilsland Farm, just minutes from Portland, Maine, is a beautiful, peaceful wildlife sanctuary that is the perfect backdrop for your wedding, birthday, meeting, or other special occasion. Maine Audubon is centrally located to southern Maine beaches, and 1-3 hours drive to premier midcoast and downeast destinations such as scenic Boothbay Harbor and majestic Acadia National Park. Maine Audubon would be honored to host your next special occasion event or wedding. Selecting Maine Audubon as your event venue directly supports Maine Audubon’s mission to conserve wildlife and wildlife habitat.
Gilsland Farm Center facilities available for public rental include:
The L.L.Bean Great Room in the Visitor Center
- This 30 x 50 foot room can accommodate a maximum of 120 people seated.
- The room can be divided into three separate rooms, each of which can seat up to 30 people.
- 120 chairs, 6-foot tables, and 8-foot tables for indoor use only.
- A small kitchen with stove, microwave, and refrigerator.
- The Visitor Center is handicapped accessible.
Apple Orchard and Property Rental
Our small apple orchard and open field are located behind the Visitor Center. This is the most popular space for weddings and receptions. Your property rental secures this beautiful space for you to then select your own sources for chairs, tent, caterer, etc.
The apple orchard can accommodate:
- Space for up to a 40 x 80 foot tent
- Maximum of 125 people
Other spaces available throughout our sanctuary on a limited basis.
- Normal business hours are Monday – Friday 9 am – 4 pm, Saturday 10 am – 4 pm, Sunday noon – 4 pm
- The grounds are open to the public from dawn to dusk every day, including during rentals. The buildings, other than the event space, remain open to the public during regular business hours.
- A Maine Audubon staff member will be on the premises during rentals to answer questions and assist with any emergency situations.
- Alcohol may only be served on-site after 4 pm weekdays and after noon on weekends. Alcohol can only be served by a licensed State of Maine bartender or catering company, and they must provide proof of their liquor license.
- All music must end no later than 11 pm.
- Grounds and Rooms rented are expected to be left in same condition as originally found. Cleaning fees will be assessed if grounds and rooms are not found in acceptable condition.
- All food and beverages must be removed by end of rental period.
- All rented items (tableware, tent, tables, etc) must be stored in designated areas of the property and arrangements must be made with rental company to pick up no later than mid-day Monday.
- The following rules apply to all Maine Audubon sanctuaries:
- No smoking
- Balloons and glitter are not allowed
- No open fires
- Dogs not allowed unless a trained service animal
- Do not disturb wildlife
- Do not pick or remove any plants
- Stay on designated trails
- Do not cut or climb trees
Gilsland Farm Rental Rates & Fees
Maine Audubon reserves the right to adjust rates based on dates and availability
Wedding: Full Weekend $5000
- The agreed upon rental space is available to you from 2 pm on Friday until Sunday at 4 pm.
- Includes storage space, tent capabilities, and electricity hookup.
- Use of space when not within business hours is available with prior notification as designated in agreement.
Wedding: One-Day (9 am-6 pm only), $1,500
- No storage capability.
Other special occasions, events, or meetings
Outdoor Orchard Rental
- The Orchard at Gilsland Farm can also be rented by the hour for non-wedding events (e.g. birthday parties or meetings.) .
Indoor Rental of the L.L.Bean Great Room
- During Business Hours (9 am-4 pm weekdays; 10-4 Saturday, 12-4 Sunday)
$100/hr or $500 for full business day
- After Business Hours (4:30 pm-11 pm daily)
We realize that our rental policies might not fit every situation. Please don’t hesitate to contact us to discuss how we might work with you to host your next special event. For more information please email or call our Events Manager at 207.781.2330 x210
Center facilities available for public rental include:
- The entire building, including two accessible restrooms.
- The Nature Store adjoining the rental space is open during business hours and during evening events.
- A small kitchen with stove, microwave and refrigerator.
- 80 folding chairs (inside use only).
- Two 6-foot tables (inside use only).
- Six 8-foot tables (inside use only).
- Maximum capacity for the building is 80 people for a stand-up event; 60 for a lecture; 50 for events that use tables, e.g. dinners or work meetings.
- No audio visual equipment is available; renters must make arrangements to bring their own.
- A telephone is available for emergency use for local outgoing calls.
If notified well ahead of time, Maine Audubon staff will set up chairs and tables as needed for meetings. For social functions, renters/caterers are responsible for set up and break down. Maine Audubon will try to accommodate renters with space for storage of rental equipment and extra time for set up, but this must be arranged ahead of time so as not to interfere with other programs and renters.
A Maine Audubon staff member or volunteer is available during events for questions.
Rates & Fees
- Daytime Meetings: $200
- Evening or Weekend Events $400
For more information or to schedule an event, please email us or contact us at 207.989.2591.