Maine Audubon, the state’s largest wildlife conservation education organization, seeks a full-time seasonal preschool educator to develop and teach half- and full-day camp programs for children ages 3-5. This position is based at Maine Audubon’s headquarters at Gilsland Farm in Falmouth, Maine, which includes a visitor center with a Nature Store surrounded by a 65-acre wildlife sanctuary that encompasses forest, meadows, a pond and marshlands.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Develop and teach developmentally appropriate preschool programs that connect young children to Maine Audubon’s mission and utilize the outdoors as a learning environment.
- Train and mentor teenager volunteers.
- Set up and break down program equipment daily and weekly.
- Maintain safety standards and protocols, accident reports, participant medical forms.
- Communicate with caregivers during pickup and drop off.
- Experience working with preschool-aged children (3-5 years) in outdoor and classroom settings.
- Environmental education or summer camp experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work with young children in a developmentally appropriate way to foster cognitive and social-emotional growth.
- B.A./B.S. (or be working towards one) in education, biology, or environmental studies, or equivalent experience.
- Flexibility, creativity, and enthusiasm, along with the ability to collaborate with others.
- Familiarity with local ecology and natural history, and willingness to learn more.
- Experience working with teenage volunteers preferred.
- Current Adult/Pediatric First Aid and CPR certification.
- Must pass a criminal background check.
- Able to often lift objects up to 50 pounds when setting up program space.
- Able to frequently hike all trails on Gilsland Farm property as part of program.
- Able to work outdoors in all environmental and weather conditions.
- Able to sit at a desk for extended periods of time.
Time frame: Up to 40 hours/week from June 15-August 30, 2019. Hours are 8am-2pm M-F during half-day camps and 8am-4pm M-F during full-week camps.
Salary: Dependent on experience and qualifications
To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to Molly Woodring at email@example.com. We will begin reviewing applications after March 22nd, and will accept applications until the position is filled.