Maine Audubon, the state’s largest wildlife conservation education organization, seeks a seasonal, full-time educator to develop and teach day camp programs for children ages 6-11. This position is based at Maine Audubon’s headquarters at Gilsland Farm in Falmouth, Maine, which includes a visitor center with a Nature Store surrounded by a 65-acre wildlife sanctuary that encompasses forest, meadows, pond, and marshlands.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Develop and teach developmentally-appropriate day camp programs tied to Maine Audubon’s mission;
- Be able to communicate with, and be sensitive to the needs of, children ages 6-11;
- Mentor teenage volunteers;
- Set-up and break-down program equipment daily/weekly;
- Maintain safety standards and protocols, accident reports, participant medical forms;
- Communicate professionally with caregivers during pick-up and drop-off.
- Experience and demonstrated ability working with children ages 6-11 in outdoor settings such as camp/environmental/experiential/outdoor education experience;
- A./B.S. (or be working towards one) in education, biology, or environmental studies preferred;
- Enthusiasm, creativity, and flexibility, along with the ability to collaborate effectively with others;
- Experience working with teenage volunteers preferred;
- Knowledge of Maine’s flora, fauna, and ecological concepts;
- Experience hiking, crafting, art, music preferred;
- Current Adult/Pediatric First Aid and CPR certification;
- Must pass a criminal background check.
- Able to often lift objects up to 50 pounds when setting up program space;
- Able to frequently hike all trails on Gilsland Farm property as part of program;
- Able to work outdoors in all environmental and weather conditions.
Time frame: Approx. 40 hours/week, June 17 – August 30, 2019. This includes training, set-up and break-down of camp. The seven weeks of camp run M-F from 9 am-3 pm, with educators working from 8 am-4 pm.
Salary: Dependent on experience and qualifications.
To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to Catherine Griset at email@example.com, with the subject line “Summer Camp Environmental Educator Position”. We will begin reviewing applications after March 22nd, and will accept applications until the position is filled.