Position Title: Staff Accountant (Salaried 30 Hours-Full-Time)
Location: Gilsland Farm Audubon Center, Falmouth
Immediate Supervisor: Director of Finance and Human Resources
Purpose of the position:
Working under the direction of the Director of Finance and Human Resources, the Staff Accountant is responsible for performing professional level financial accounting and reporting activities in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. The Staff Accountant assumes primary responsibility for accurately maintaining all accounting records, preparation of financial statements, and preparation of all annual audit materials. The position serves as a financial resource for staff and requires technical expertise, accuracy, supervisory capabilities and unquestioned integrity.
Review work of Accounting Associate to ensure invoices are properly authorized and paid in a timely manner and that expenses are charged to the proper projects and accounts. Prepare checks for signature weekly. Review work of the Accounting Associate to ensure payroll process runs smoothly and accurately. Serve as back-up to Payroll and Accounts Payable.
Prepare, enter and post all cash receipts, journal and adjusting entries after review by the Director of Finance and Human Resources. In coordination with the Development Staff and the Accounting Associate, review cash receipts entries for gifts and donations prepared through Raiser’s Edge for accuracy.
Day-to day responsibilities:
- Maintain fixed assets ledger.
- Ensure filing systems are accurately maintained.
- Manage all receivables.
- Prepare routine correspondence as necessary.
- Take primary responsibility for timely and accurate monthly closings of accounting system and report preparation for all funds including both operating and investment funds. This includes tracking releases of funds from donor restricted accounts as restrictions are met.
- Monitor monthly reports for consistency; research and resolve major discrepancies.
- Review general ledger entries monthly for accuracy.
- Review and assist Accounting Associate with monthly bank reconciliations.
- Prepare monthly Profit and Loss reconciliations and quarterly Balance Sheet reconciliations.
- Prepare specialized financial and other reports, as requested.
- Complete year-end financial statements, reports and audit preparation.
- Assist with the annual budgeting process.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate well within a team and at all levels of the organization.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- High level of integrity and dependability.
- Ability to maintain flexibility and adjust priorities as needed for maximum results.
- Ability to be flexible and perform work under pressure.
- Proficient with Blackbaud products, particularly Financial Edge and Financial Edge NXT (a plus) and familiar with Raiser’s Edge and Raiser’s Edge NXT.
- Experience with payroll databases.
- Broad spreadsheet, word processing, email, and database computer skills.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or in Business Administration and three to five years of progressively responsible related experience.
- Non-profit and Financial Edge experience a plus.
- Experience with A/R, A/P, payroll and payroll taxes, financial reporting, and computer systems & databases.
- Ability to analyze complex accounting transactions and to develop relevant and realistic work flow systems to manage multiple streams of incoming data.
- Demonstrated complete discretion when dealing with confidential information.
- Ability to deal with the public in a tactful and pleasant manner.
- Ability to work harmoniously with others, including staff, trustees, volunteers, vendors, and auditors.
- Ability to lift 20 pounds overhead.
- Comfort with extensive keyboard, mouse work, and screen time.
Hours & Pay: This is a 30 hour per week job, with full benefits, at a competitive nonprofit salary.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with Staff Accountant in the subject line. We will begin reviewing applications starting October 14, 2019; the job remains open until filled.