Growing & Landscape Gardening Intern
Gilsland Farm Audubon Center, Falmouth, Maine
Maine Audubon is a widely respected conservation organization with headquarters located in Falmouth, Maine, and influence statewide. Our mission is to conserve Maine’s wildlife and habitat through conservation, education, and advocacy. We are seeking a Seasonal Grower/Landscape Gardener for a paid internship primarily based at Gilsland Farm in Falmouth, Maine.
This is a hands-on skilled internship position that assists with a variety of plant production and garden related tasks. The Seasonal Grower/Landscape Gardener leads efforts to grow seedlings, germinate seeds, and to help plant and maintain native plant gardens and meadows. The position also interacts with the public, helps with plants/project marketing content, and trains volunteers (watering, plant ID, etc.).
The internship will be overseen and mentored by Maine Audubon’s property manager, with additional support from other staff. The position will afford practical growing, business management, and education experience for a student or aspiring practitioner of various horticultural trades. Maine Audubon will accommodate individual academic goals, credit, evaluation, etc. as needed.
- Lead potting and growing operation for plugs, seeding and seedlings, and propagation in a small poly hoop-house and outdoor beds and growing areas
- Water and fertilize various plant crops as needed
- Assist with customer sales and inquiries at our annual Native Plant Sale and ongoing sales
- Help to plant and maintain various landscape and garden beds and work with volunteers on various growing and landscape projects
- Must have an ability to communicate effectively with various age groups and audiences on and off site
- Have or be working towards a college degree in horticulture, landscape design, or environmental studies with knowledge or experience as a grower, greenhouse operator, or field grower
- Able to work with minimal supervision
- Know how to use Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Enthusiastic and flexible with a sense of humor
- Must pass a criminal background check
- Able to often lift objects up to 50 pounds
- Comfort and experience with various hand tools
- Able to frequently hike all trails on Gilsland Farm and other Maine Audubon properties
- Able to use hands/fingers to operate computer and other program equipment
- Able to work outdoors in challenging environmental conditions
Timeframe: The position is part-time from mid-April through late August, with the possibility of extending into the fall.
Internship Stipend: $12 per hour for at least 16 hours per week
To apply: Please send a letter of intent and resume to Maine Audubon, 20 Gilsland Farm Rd, Falmouth, Maine 04105 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. We will begin reviewing applications immediately. Resumes are accepted on an ongoing basis.
Maine Audubon is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Any job offers are contingent on a successful criminal background check.