- Location: Gilsland Farm Audubon Center, Falmouth, Maine
- Immediate Supervisor: Executive Director
Maine Audubon works to conserve Maine’s wildlife and wildlife habitat by engaging people of all ages in education, conservation, and action. We are seeking a Director of Communications and Marketing to lead a comprehensive communications program that promotes Maine Audubon’s work, refines and publicizes our messages, and increases the organization’s visibility and engagement with audiences both existing and new. The person in this role will lead a professional communications team in the execution of Maine Audubon’s strategic communications, marketing, and outreach initiatives across all platforms.
As a key senior leader, the Director of Communications & Marketing will develop and execute communications initiatives in alignment with Maine Audubon’s Strategic Plan, and will provide strategic marketing guidance to inform and shape decisions that drive the organization’s growth and impact. The person in this role will:
- Set the organization’s communications strategy, refining our messages and directing the plan that ensures they are reaching our many statewide audiences.
- Oversee the ongoing development of our Editorial Calendar and manage the creation and distribution of original content.
- Serve as Editor of Habitat magazine, Maine Audubon’s quarterly magazine read by our 10,000 members around the state and the country.
- Act as the central writer and editor for the organization, helping to prepare and oversee the production of all written communications.
- Build and manage strong relationships with journalists and media organizations.
- Work closely with the Development team to create branded communications and outreach materials that support membership acquisition, donor cultivation, and donor stewardship.
- Work closely with the Conservation, Education, Advocacy, Retail, and Properties teams to identify and support their communication needs.
- Collaborate to create and execute marketing plans that achieve programmatic goals, including high program attendance and broad demographic reach.
- Oversee the implementation of key aspects of our Strategic Plan, including outreach to new audiences and our ongoing goal to be “Timely, Fresh, and Everywhere.”
- Steward Maine Audubon’s brand and ensure implementation and upkeep of our Brand Identity Guide.
- Manage internal communications initiatives designed to share information among Maine Audubon staff, board, and Chapters.
- Lead a communications team that includes a Marketing Manager, an Outreach & Network Manager, and a Graphic Designer.
- Bachelor’s degree plus at least eight years of professional experience in nonprofit marketing and communications roles.
- Strong writing and editing skills, and demonstrated experience doing both on a deadline.
- Experience writing and placing op-eds on behalf of organizational leaders.
- Demonstrated ability to think and plan strategically.
- Experience using data and analytics to inform and drive marketing and programmatic decision-making.
- A deep understanding of marketing channels, including digital, social, email, and print.
- Exemplary professionalism and the ability to collaborate with a wide range of partners.
- Strong oral communication skills.
- Experience managing high-performing teams.
- Flexibility to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Experience working on wildlife or conservation issues.
- Graduate degree or advanced training in a related field.
- Strong existing relationships with members of the Maine media.
- Experience with WordPress, Raiser’s Edge, and a range of digital event registration and outreach platforms.
- An understanding of Information Technology and its role in a nonprofit organization.
- A sense of humor.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and three writing samples to Beth Pauls at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Communications and Marketing” in the subject line.
Review of applications will begin on April 25, 2019. Position open until filled. Maine Audubon is an Equal Opportunity Employer.